OMG! Can anyone tell me if ladybugs are toxic?

Seriously. No joke.

I just almost accidentally ate a ladybug.

I have rinsed my mouth out about a billion times in the last three minutes and I am still feeling like I’m going to lose my dinner all over my desk.

Although my first instinct was to close my mouth, luckily I did not CHOMP down (the thought of me crunching down on a Ms. Bug is making me all queasy again). It was in my mouth long enough for me to feel its teeny little legs on my tongue and its hard little shell against the roof of my mouth. *shudder* I thought I saw my life flash before my eyes.

I quickly spat it out into my napkin and reached for the box of kleenex, using the contents of an entire box to wipe my tongue off. Oh, and I screamed, too. But just a little (compared to a sonic boom, it was just a teeny tiny scream).

Bleh!

I don’t like killing bugs, but I think this one was traumatized enough from being in my mouth. I just had to put it out of its misery. It was the right thing to do.

[I know you hate it when I do this, but no jokes about being inside my mouth, saying how good it is that I don’t bite, asking if I will swallow, or any other pervy jokes. I know, I’m a party pooper, but HEY! I nearly ate a ladybug! Eww!]

P.S. – I know I have a big mouth, but when did I get designated Lady Bug Landing Pad™?

Thanks for rating this! Now tell the world how you feel - .
How does this post make you feel?
  • Excited
  • Fascinated
  • Amused
  • Bored
  • Sad
  • Angry

19 Responses to “OMG! Can anyone tell me if ladybugs are toxic?”



  • just how in the hell did you manage that one? i’m SO not kissing you when i see you tonight!


  • I’m sure you’ll be fine. More so then the lady bug.
    R.I.P. Ladybird Beetle


  • EWWWWWW! We were crawling around under the house around xmas time and found a whole colony of those things down there! Now I am afraid to even drink water at night cause I don’t want to drink one! I feel for ya!

    HEHEHE to Yoshi’s comment!


  • I knew an old lady who swallowed a ladybug … I guess she’ll …
    live?

    I don’t think ladybugs are toxic. Gross on your tongue, maybe, but not toxic.


  • I hate to say it, but we had an apocolyptic pestilence of ladybugs last fall and I found out that they ARE mildly poisonous. Their legs secret poison when they are freaked out.
    But you probably won’t die.
    I still find them under my pillow sometimes, before I go to bed at night. I brush them into the floor, without killing them, but the cats eventually find them, I’m certain.


  • want to feel better? growing up in the south it is known that atleast once a year a cockroach would crawl in your mouth as you slept


  • Well…at least Lady Bugs are cute, as bugs go. It could have been worse.

    Not that you feel any better after hearing that. lol gah!! I’d be freaking out, too.


  • Ew!!! Ew! I still remember the one time I swallowed a tiny fly that flew into my mouth when I was riding my bike (don’t talk & ride your bike in a park at same time :)


  • well, at least ladybugs are good for killing aphids that kill nice flowers and plants and stuff…but yuk!


  • Be glad it wasn’t a spider. Now that would suck.


  • it could have been Mr. Ladybug!

    It’s gone to a better place now anyway.


  • Ladybugs are considered good luck folks!!!


  • they may be good luck, but they’re gross, and bugs…and gross!


  • ladybugs are colorful and only mildly toxic! think britney!


  • i sucked teh dick of a ladybug


  • i hate hate ladybugs i remember i was outside and a ladybug was on my shirt i screamed real loud and start running around in a circle then it flew on my best friend and she started to cry.


  • My daughter’s toddler found a live ladybug on the carpet and ate it. We did not know this until we heard him crunch on the poor bug. He grimaced and gagged like it tasted horrific. We tried to swipe it out of his mouth, but we were so grossed out at touching its crushed body parts! It came out in pieces of shell and guts,ick! Then a piece of the shell kept getting caught in the back of his throat and he tried to gag it up until he swallowed it. Never, ever thought this could happen! Never want it to happen again. One for the baby book.


  • i have a bug bite on my arm could it realy be a ladybug bite?


  • JOZ! I just did this – I actually crunched down on it too.. definitely disgusting.. so the actual funny thing about the situation is – I hit Bing with the following: “accidentally ate an orange ladybug is it going to kill me?” and your post is the #1 search result.

    xoxoxo! Shan

Leave a Reply




%d bloggers like this: